I wanted to write today as I reflect on a wonderful yoga class I attended yesterday evening - another amazing community benefit class taught by Doug Graul. Last night, the class benefited Haiti relief efforts through the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America's Disaster Response activites. A group of roughly 20 people raised over $450 for the cause. Amazing ♥
Part of what makes yoga work for me is the instructor...I have taken classes with teachers who haphazardly throw some stretches together and call it yoga. That does NOT work for me. What DOES work for me is a class that is thoughtfully constructed so that the poses carefully build on each other, the lesson is learned or reinforced through the poses, the music chosen supports the flow, and it is evident that the instructor cares. This is why I love taking yoga classes with Doug as the instructor. He does all of this and more - even when things aren't going well for him personally for whatever reason, he still puts every effort imaginable into making his classes WORK. Thank you, Doug, for that.
Last night's class made me feel strong. A powerful sun salutation series, followed by some wonderful hip opening stretches somehow brought out strength I had forgotten was there. I knew where Doug was going before we even moved into the balancing half-moon pose, and I didn't even let my inner self groan with the thought of it. I just - get this - DID it. Without thought. Without complaint. And most importantly, without falling over. I did it, and I felt amazing.
Last night's class made me feel....dare I say it....beautiful. Graceful. At peace with myself. During the heart-opening poses, I loved myself. I felt like I had something to offer the world. And during the final relaxation pose, I enjoyed a few blissful moments of silence. You know that Depeche Mode song "Enjoy the Silence"? I don't think I understood what that actually meant until then. No kids, no dogs, no television, no computer humming in the background...nothing. Eyes closes and relaxed. Meditative. No thoughts rushing through my mind. Bliss.
As I drove home, a gorgeous full moon followed me home. And for a few moments, everything was right.
This, my friends, is WHY I am a yoga lovin' mom.
Blessings....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
you ARE beautiful and graceful! and I am proud to be your friend! xo -jeni
ReplyDelete