My Life

My Life
The kids and me playing in the snow

Thursday, March 11, 2010

How do I love Jake? Let me count the ways....

(Don't worry, Sarah will have her day too!)

Is it possible to truly describe the love I have for my son?  I'm not certain, but I'll try.  First, I'd like to share a picture of the two of us this past weekend when I took him and two friends to the local childrens museum.  We were at the "news desk" pretending to give the news.  I love how he is always goofy and smiling and having fun. 


This 8-year-old boy is not perfect.  But he is amazing.  He is charming and sweet...compassionate and caring...mature beyond his years (okay, most of the time)...sensitive and loving.  He loves Scouts, art, camping and hiking, playing video games, and any kind of "pretend" game in which he can create sound effects.  He may quite possibly have a career cut out for him in movie-making :-)

Jake's birthday is the day after Halloween, and he really wanted a Halloween party for his birthday this past year (which was a big hit, by the way).  But he didn't ask for gifts.  Or even extra Halloween candy.  He asked for his guests to bring non-perishable food to donate to the local food pantry.  He was able to collect two big boxes of food to donate.  Our neighbors were so inspired by Jake's act that they did the same thing for their Christmas party.  Their guests donated an awesome amount of food, which Jake in turn donated to the same food pantry during the recent "Scouting for Food" food drive (one of his favorite events of the year!)


A few weeks ago, Jake's teacher gave the class an assignment..."What would you do with 100 dollars?"  Jake's paper read, "If I had 100 dollars, I would make sure the poor people had food, and I would find a way to get more money so I could do it all over again."  In addition to his desire to cure world hunger, he is also an advocate of animals.  He recently asked me if he could save some of his money to give to the ASPCA or the local no-kill pet shelter because he "doesn't understand why some people are so mean and want to hurt animals." 

I could pretty much share my pride for my son all day long.  I can't really think of a good way to describe my love for my son - other than to say that he owns a huge piece of my heart and my life would not be whole without him in it.  I am so blessed to be his mother, and being here to nurture him as he becomes a young man is one of the greatest gifts I have ever been given.  He used to tell me that he loved me "all the way to the top of the Empire State building and then around the moon and back."  If only he undersood that I love him even more than that.  Look at this face....what's not to love? ♥


No comments:

Post a Comment